Compared to commonly known divided-bar measurements (stationary) or line-source measurements, the optical scanning principle offers some advantages
TCS is fast:
- Up to 60 samples per hour (depending on sample length) can be measured.
TCS is easy to use:
- the measurements are controlled by a portable computer (notebook).
- software with online help functions and intuitive user interface makes the operation easy.
TCS operation needs almost no sample preparation:
- non contact measurement
- no sawing to get special sample dimensions.
- no polishing, works on various types of surfaces.
- TCS works on drill cores mantle surfaces as well as on sawed (cut) face ends.
- The only need is black line painting along the scanning lines.
TCS observes more than only thermal conductivity:
- thermal conductivity
- thermal diffusivity
- small scale profiles of thermal properties along scanning lines.
- observation and quantification of: mean and local values of the thermal properties and inhomogeneity factors.
- automatic calculation of mean values and quality factors.
- on anisotropic solids: observation of components of the thermal properties tensor.